Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?
Another Slant on the Panasonic 15mm Instead of 20mm Question
2 months ago

I tend to take a lot of landscape shots, which my Olympus 12-40 or 9-18 lenses handle quite well. However, I also enjoy taking photos in historic houses and buildings, old car / railroad museums, and other similar indoor environments. For those I’ve used my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 due to its better low light capabilities. It is a very sharp lens and I really like it, but at times I find myself wishing I had a wider lens. It is frustrating to get only part of an ornate room, or not to catch quite all of an old car due to the inability to back up further.

It seems to me that the 15mm would better fill that need since its field of view is 72 degrees, compared to only 55 degree FOV for the 20mm. Plus, based on what I’ve read, the 15mm’s AF is much better and the lens is darn near as sharp as the 20mm.

I’d be interested to hear if anyone has made such a swap and if so, how did it work out for you for indoor photography such as I describe above?

Thanks

Tom

PS.  Before someone suggests it: yes, I do lower the shutter speed on my 12-40 as low as I can without introducing blur, and even with that I find myself using ISO 1600 or even 3200 a lot more than I want to. I’m thinking the extra stop and a half the 15mm offers would help keep the ISO lower and thus make for cleaner images.

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow