Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tmelt10
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Sony a77II & Minolta 80-200 HS 2.8
10 months ago

I got my a77II a week or so ago & had been learning Sony menus & getting settings down with the Tamron 17-50 2.8. I have been shooting Nikon & since they don't seem to be coming out with a D300 replacement I thought  I would try out the a77II. I really like the camera so far.

I shoot mostly sports, so I had read good reviews for the Minolta 80-200 2.8 HS, I ordered one  & it arrived today. The lens had a distinct rattle in it like there was something loose - the rattle wasn't present when it was mounted to the camera body. I tested the lens out & it was very soft up to f5.6 (it really wasn't super sharp at any aperture) even after microadjusting to +15 (had a severe backfocus) which looked to be the best focus adjustment. At 2.8 nothing is in focus which is a problem. I have had a couple of other screw-drive lenses ( although I have been shooting mostly with a Nikon 80-200 AF-S 2.8) & didn't have the rattling sound with them.

Does it sound like the lens was damaged in transit to give the rattle & poor image quality? Everything I had read & all the pics I had seen led me to believe that it is a very sharp lens.

I have attached several photos at different apertures for you to evaluate- just sitting around in my office- like i said these are after MA & with outdoor shots there is nothing in focus at f2.8 so its not a front or back focus problem and the shutter speeds were plenty high.

Thanks,

Ted

f5.6

f2.8

f2.8

tmelt10's gear list:tmelt10's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +1 more
Nikon D300 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow