Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mr McClicky
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Crop Factor Confusion
2 months ago

Hello everyone please excuse this all ready beaten question but can we confirm whether or not DX format lens have a 1.5 crop factor incorporated when used on a DX format camera or is it 1 to 1.

I understand that only FX (full frame) format lenses have a the crop factor when used on DX (24X16) cameras. I base this on what a couple of nikon reps told me over the phone.

B&H says that DX lenses also incorporate the crop factor when used on DX format cameras, can someone confirm whose right?

In the following ad for a Nikon 18-105 DX lens I believe they are saying that there is a crop factor.  I could be wrong.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582443-USA/Nikon_2179_18_105mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_VR.html

So is it so is a 18-55mm dx lens a 24-77.5 equivalent field of view as an fx lens on an full frame camera?

I was specifically told by a BH rep that DX lenses incorporate the field of view 1.5 crop factor on DX format cameras and Nikon say that there 1 to 1.

My apologies for my confusion but I have to figure this rudimentary aspect my camera before being able to fully understand what Im doing with respect to lens choices and purchases.

Thanks

Rafe

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow