ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JahnG
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
TZ60 / TZ25 question to Erik
1 month ago

Hello Erik.

I recall that you have used both the TZ25 and the TZ60 (=ZS40) and below is Your comment about the ZS40 some 4 months ago. Now it seems that I'll  POSSIBLY "have to" give the TZ 25 to my daughter, and I consider a TZ60 instead. Reading your comments about the iA of the TZ60, do you think that the iA of the TZ60 is worse than the iA of the TZ 25, with more "smearing" of details and/or much more noise?

This is a rather important point, because my wife would reasonably much use the new camera, and she wishes to use iA . The iA of the TZ25 has been good enough, so if TZ60 has a similar iA quality, then I think that TZ60 would be the right camera.

Best regards

Jahn

-- hide signature --

Your mail some 4 months ago :

Emeybee, it's a crying shame you returned the ZS40 so soon. Your problem was not the camera - it was shooting it in "Auto" mode.

The camera can do MUCH better than you describe: "Auto" mode tries to satisfy everything by taking the "middle of the road" - and winds up unsatisfactory for most situations.

Whats happening, is this: The "Auto mode winds up "stopping down" the Aperture, and that degrades the image - particularly in random-detail areas, like grass. The cause is the phenomenon of Diffraction - the bending of light when passing an edge. It is inescapable, and due to the "wave Nature" of light.

Here's a lot more on the subject in case you are interested:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3359835#forum-post-50571409

Long story short: if you always shoot in "A" mode, with the lens as WIDE as it can go: ƒ/3.3, you will minimize diffraction and get the sharpest pictures the lens is capable of. Period.

AND, as a bonus - since in "A" mode the camera selects the shutter speed, you will get the fastest shutter speed, automatically. Fast is good in most cases.

When shooting in "A" mode, the aperture and shutter speed are displayed at the bottom of the screen. In poor light, if the shutter speed gets too slow (say below 1/30th second) upping the ISO will give faster shutter speeds.

The ONLY time I use ANY setting other than ƒ/3.3 is if the scene is extremely bright, then I may go down to, ƒ/4 or 4.5. A very rare occurance as even the brightest day rarely exceeds 1/2000th second. (if the camera thinks it needs a faster shutter speed, the settings at the bottom will turn red).

Shooting this way will give you much better results - although the FZ200 may do even better because it's ƒ/2.8 is an even larger opening, so less diffraction.

This will not be found in photograpy books because it applies only to small sensor, "P&S" cameras and the authors in 99.9% of books, are thinking of 35mm size sensors.

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 (Lumix DMC-TZ25) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow