ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
socaltrevor
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Canon Powershot G12 - Infrared Conversion Experience and some thoughts
4 months ago

Hi All,

I was able to obtain an excellent condition used G12 from ebay for a reasonable price (~275), so I figured this would be a great IR conversion camera - which i've been wanting to do ever since my previous IR conversion camera (a canon Elph 100 HS) bit the dust. Wanted to try something with a 1/1.7" sensor instead of the ultra puny 1/2.3"

I did the conversion myself since i'm fairly handy with electronics and had the necessary tools already. I used a full spectrum from kolari vision, which was about 50 bucks. This would allow me to use an external filter so that I can use different filters instead of being locked into one type.

On the whole I am happy with the conversion and output images - one thing that I have a question about, is the widest angles.

All of my wide angle shots seem to be out of focus. And by wide angle i mean widest zoom setting to about 20% zoom range. Everything else seems very good and sharp.

My hypothesis is that since infrared focus different than normal light, the lens focus travel can't adequately compensate for the infrared focus distance. Another possibility is that the full spectrum (i.e. float glass) filter which replaced the hot mirror is of different thickness than the hot mirror thickness.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this something infrared cameras do in general? I have some more experimenting to do - i guess i could use no filter and see if the visible light images are sharp at wide angle, which would prove one way or other.

Canon ELPH 100 HS (IXUS 115 HS) Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow