ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tycoonbob
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
DSLR or Mirrorless -- I can't decide!
4 months ago

Hi everyone, new around here.

So I'm a very technical person in my mid-20s (work as an IT Professional for a very large healthcare organization), and I've been in and out of photography for the past few years.  My girlfriend shoots semi-professionally with her D7100, and will be soon upgrading to a D810.  About two years ago I bought a Nex-5N, which I loved, but sold it because I didn't use it much and decided to put money into another hobby.  3 months later I missed not having a camera, and bought a used D3200 for a pretty great price, but sold it a week later (and made $100 on it).

Now I'm at the conundrum of what I should buy next.  I've been eyeing the D5300, and have been leaning toward Nikon because that's what my girlfriend shoots (share lens, etc).  However, if she moves to FX format and I stick with DX format, I suspect I won't use her FX lens too much and she wouldn't use my DX lens too much, so that benefit is no longer there.

I'm not going to specify a specific budget, but I will say that I've been considering the D5300 and Sony a6000.  That should give you some idea to my budget.

I read that mirrorless is the future, and I am a very technical person, and I like the compact perspective of going mirrorless (again).

I guess it will help to share what I intend to shoot.  A big requirement is video, actually.  Yeah yeah, get a video camera if you want video, and I do have a Zoom Q4 that I use for concert videos and audio events.  I want my new camera to be able to do 1080p @ 60fps.  As far as stills, I would be doing a lot of macro shots, as well as wide angle landscape/architectural shots.  
I expect to have a decent zoom lens covering a basic range, but also a prime lens or two (one for macro, and one wide angle).

So yeah, what are some cameras I should be looking at other than the D5300 and a6000?  I really like the a7 series, but I believe a little too pricey for me.  I like the a5100, but without the viewfinder it's a no (which is why I look at the a6000).

If it matters, I plan to do my post processing in either DarkTable or Lightroom (I have both available to me).

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow