D810: Wrong WB written to RAW files

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,776Gear list
D810: Wrong WB written to RAW files
Aug 18, 2014

I did a shoot yesterday where I was using Quantum flashes.  I had my WB set in camera to "Flash".  I shot RAW.

When I loaded the photos into Photoshop ACR the WB was set to 6900K with a tint of +21.  The photos also looked too warm.  Manually changing the WB in ACR to the "Flash" preset of course sets the WB to 5500 with no tint.  The flash WB setting in ACR looked correct.

So I loaded some photos into Capture NX-D to compare.  Strange.  The photos loaded into Capture NX-D and the WB numbers indicated 6461K and a tint of -0.1.  But the photos looked fine.  I then changed the WB from "Original" to "Flash".  The WB numbers changed to 5400K and no tint.  The visual WB of the photo did not change as I flipped between Original and Flash, even though the indicated WB numbers changed.  Also, the histogram did not change as I flipped between these two values.  Changing the WB to other preset values did change the visual look and the histogram.

So it would appear that there is some data in the EXIF that Capture NX-D can see to set the proper flash WB on screen even though it gets the actual WB numbers wrong.  On the other hand (no surprise) Adobe ACR is just reading the WB Kelvin and tint data from the file and therefore the WB is off.  (Good thing I was shooting RAW.)

I will have to do more testing now to figure this out.  Has anyone run into this?  Does anyone have any idea if there is something I'm failing to take into account?  Any possible way the Quantum flash could cause the 810 to write the wrong WB into the file?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +21 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow