Thinking of getting E-M1 + 12-40mm f2.8 Pro...but question about apertures on m4/3?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jaeger088
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Thinking of getting E-M1 + 12-40mm f2.8 Pro...but question about apertures on m4/3?
3 months ago

Hey guys, you've all been very helpful in my previous post about trying to decide between a Fuji X-T1 and the Olympus E-M1. I think I'm leaning towards the E-M1 though, mostly due to lens pricing...the Fuji X-T1 is extremely nice and so are the lenses but they are expensive! $900 for the 23mm f1.4, $1,000 for the 56mm f1.2, $1,000 for the weather-sealed 18-135mm, $900 for the 10-24mm, and most likely around $1,000 if not more for the new 16-55mm f2.8 being released. That's a lot of money for something that I, for now, intend only on doing for fun and as a hobby. Plus I'm not quite sold on the X-T1's manual dials.

However, I still have a few questions regarding the Olympus E-M1 before I pull the trigger on it. The foremost being about this aperture argument against it (or rather m4/3's in general) I understand that you lose a bit of DOF because of the smaller sensor, but to my eye, I can't spot it. From pictures I've seen on Flickr, you can get plenty of bokeh at least for my liking. However there seems to be this discrepancy that f2.8 on m4/3 doesn't really mean f2.8 but rather f3.5 or so? is that true? And does this mean that the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, isn't really f2.8? Will it not allow as much light in as say the same lens for an APS-C camera? Just curious and could do with the helpful information!

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow