Thinking of getting E-M1 + 12-40mm f2.8 Pro...but question about apertures on m4/3?

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jaeger088 Forum Member • Posts: 54
Thinking of getting E-M1 + 12-40mm f2.8 Pro...but question about apertures on m4/3?

Hey guys, you've all been very helpful in my previous post about trying to decide between a Fuji X-T1 and the Olympus E-M1. I think I'm leaning towards the E-M1 though, mostly due to lens pricing...the Fuji X-T1 is extremely nice and so are the lenses but they are expensive! $900 for the 23mm f1.4, $1,000 for the 56mm f1.2, $1,000 for the weather-sealed 18-135mm, $900 for the 10-24mm, and most likely around $1,000 if not more for the new 16-55mm f2.8 being released. That's a lot of money for something that I, for now, intend only on doing for fun and as a hobby. Plus I'm not quite sold on the X-T1's manual dials.

However, I still have a few questions regarding the Olympus E-M1 before I pull the trigger on it. The foremost being about this aperture argument against it (or rather m4/3's in general) I understand that you lose a bit of DOF because of the smaller sensor, but to my eye, I can't spot it. From pictures I've seen on Flickr, you can get plenty of bokeh at least for my liking. However there seems to be this discrepancy that f2.8 on m4/3 doesn't really mean f2.8 but rather f3.5 or so? is that true? And does this mean that the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro, isn't really f2.8? Will it not allow as much light in as say the same lens for an APS-C camera? Just curious and could do with the helpful information!

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lew
Lew
Lew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow