Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series
In reply to clarnibass, 1 month ago

clarnibass wrote:

I don't think there is necessarily a problem with people buying things that are over priced, accpeting that they are. I wouldn't need to fool myself with a bunch of psychobabble that the lens is not over priced. Some people (not you) feel like they have to do that for some reason. I thought my D600 was over priced and I bought it. I still think it was over priced and I am still glad I bought it.

When people have no idea what the development costs are, what the possible liability for producing the product could end up being nor what the manufacturing costs of a product are, how they can proclaim a product is -over priced- or not seems odd to me. This lens is in the same price point as the other f1.4 lenses built using these same materials, yet for some reason, some people feel it should cost $300. They assume that the amount of glass or complexity of the design is what sets the price, if that was the case, the 70-300 zoom should be over $1000. Guess what, it isn't. Or that the weight/size of the lens = it worth?

Another example, you felt your D600 was over priced. Look at what selling that camera has cost nikon in warranty claims. -ANY- product can end up with defects requiring a warranty claim and it's part of the pricing. If they has priced the D600 at (well I have no idea what you feel it should cost) $1200, it would have been an even larger loss for them having to give away D610's to the buyers of the D600. And again you have no idea what the development costs of the whole imaging pipeline was for that camera. Or what sorts of problems they ran into developing it.

So then you say that because I have some understanding of why price points are set where they are, instead of just wishing something was cheaper, it's "psychobabble".

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow