Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fulcanelli
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
OM-1 or OM-5
4 months ago

I am trying to decide between the OM-1 amd OM-5. Is the OM-1 worth the extra bucks? I am listing the main differences I have found between the two cameras below. THe flash and video are not a concern for me. There actually are more differences than I first thought, but for me the important one is in the finished image.

The OM-1, as far as I know, rarely (if ever) goes on sale. The OM-5 is frequently on sale, with a $200 savings. That makes a rough price difference between the two cameras (body only) at $1400 for the OM-1 and the OM-5 at $1,000, though on sale, $800. That's quite a difference in price, between the full retail on the OM-1 and the sale price for the OM-5. I suspect the market price for the OM-1 does not fluctuate because we are still willing to pay that price.

I am not a technical photographer. I am not as concerned with the technical aspects of so many others that I see here. I generally shoot urban and landscape photography styles.  Obviously the OM-1 has a newer sensor and the specs seem to support that the output is more substantial.  The ISO sensitivity parameters are slightly better  More focus points.  And a significantly better (at least more dots) LCD screen resolution.  Is this worth an extra $600?  Or, if I purchased the OM-5, would I be missing out on some great technology (i.e. better image quality)?

I realize I ultimately have to make the decision but I'd like to toss this choice out to you, and hopefully you will bring out or develop some points that I have not considered. I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have had experience with both cameras.

Thanks so much.

OM-1
TruePic VII processor
ISO 100 - 25600
WB Presets - 7
Digital zoom - yes 2x
Focus Points - 81
LCD Screen Dots - 1,037,000
Viewfinder Magnification - 2,360,000
Max Shutter Speed - 1/8000 sec.
External Flash incl.

OM-5
TruePic VI processor
ISO 200 - 25600
WB Presets - 12
Digital zoom - no
Focus POints - 35
LCD Screen Dots - 610,000
Viewfinder Magnification - 1,440,000
Max Shutter Speed - 1/4000 sec
No External Flash

I got this data from this site's "side by side camera comparison" guide.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow