Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Optimus Prime Lens
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Why the upgrade issues?
4 months ago

I had a real issue trying to find the words, for the title, that capture what I'd like to know. I still don't think I've managed it..... Soooo, I have read número use posts, mainly in the Nikon section, where those who upgrade their cameras get tard as 'blindly following marketing' or people that 'must have the latest and greatest'. Those that don't upgrade are tard as 'Luddites', 'in denial' or 'just don't have enough money'.

I'm confused by these attitudes. But more so by the 'need' to upgrade. Clearly there is no 'need', we don't 'need' cameras at all, we simply want them. However plainly the digital cameras of even 10yrs ago have the ability to take pictures at better ISO etc then cameras of 40yrs ago. I am in aw of the war photos from WW2, Vietnam, Falklands etc. I ask why I can't get the same quality as they do and it's clear it's not the camera that's the issue

At the time of release cameras were lauded for how great they are, this doesn't change. A D700 is just as good today as it was when launched. However because the D6** / D8** etc have come out its as though they are so bad that they are not worth the time to take them out of your bag, and the above arguments ensue. I remember MANY years ago a friend had a Toyota Supra Turbo. Now that was a fast car. I can't recall the stats but for the sake of argument it could do 0-60 in 4.4sec. He found out that by spending even more money he could lower that to say 4.1sec. I simply couldn't understand that need as it was already faster than most cars on the road, and a simple fumbled gear change would negate the advantage gained in any case, he was no Nigel Mansell / Michael Schumacher.

I see the above being played out now with cameras, and I still don't understand. Just because a camera today can go to 245,000 ISO / 36MP why are people that don't buy it derided? Clearly the 'best' camera in 2009 is still capable of fantastic pictures. I'm sure a person with the requisite skills could do just as well / better at a wedding with a film camera from the 70's as most people who buy a 'select latest camera'.

Are photographers now getting 'lazy' or simply embracing the latest technology? I've yet to see a thread where someone talks about a photography course they went on that improved their technical skills etc. Surely this is the area we need to work on to get better photographs.

I'm happy to clarify points that may have got lost. I'm hoping I can get your thoughts on this. Best wishes.

OPL

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow