Can I switch off the LCD screen on a5100?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozyxy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507Gear list
Like?
Can I switch off the LCD screen on a5100?
1 month ago

For candid street photography, i.e. for taking someone's photo without their permission, but also for photojournalism usage, the most useful feature is to be able to switch off the camera's LCD screen. This is the feature that made me love my Nikon 1 V1.

My NEX-F3, while it can't switch off its LCD screen completely, it can put it in EVF mode and lower its brightness, which helps, yet its inability to completely switch off its LCD was exactly what made me be threatened with violence at a crime-ridden neighborhood by someone who looked like a gangster or something lol

As I find my NEX-F3 too big and its 16 megapixels not enough for extreme crops, I want to upgrade. Initially I thought of a5000 but upon learning about the upcoming a5100 I decided to wait. And I was right. The a5100 seems great on paper. Now the big question is: can the LCD screen be disabled and look all-black as if it were switched off while the camera still functioning? Or at least be put in EVF mode like on NEX-F3?

Of course I'm going to upgrade anyway no matter whether the LCD screen can be turned off because the a5100's capabilities are still useful in lots of situations and also street shooting at safe neighborhoods where it's no problem being obvious when shooting or talking with the subject and explaining what street photography is.

But I'm concerned that since a5100 cannot work with an EVF, it might not be able to switch off its EVF. Does anyone know whether the screen can be disabled?

Ozyxy's gear list:Ozyxy's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow