Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,416Gear list
Like?
Night Work with the X-T1
3 months ago

All in a night's work...er.. fun.
Stringer's Oak

The property on which this old, dead, Oak Tree stands is that of a Mr. Stringer. The location is about six miles from Valley Mills, Texas. I received permission to photograph it after dark on his ranch and did so on August 17, 2014 using the Fuji X-T1 and the 18mm f/2.0. This was an 18 second exposure.

Always best to view the larger version..

The tree itself is quite amazing in that its circumference at the base has to be about 20 to 30 feet if not greater. It is huge. That would indicate this old tree has been standing for well over 200 years while growing and probably standing about 50 years in its current state. Trees in Texas do not grow as big as those in other parts of the country so with that in mind, you can imagine how very old this tree was when it finally gave up the ghost. Why did it die? I have no idea. It could have been from disease, drought, pest or something else entirely.

It was a pleasure to photograph it. Coyotes yipping in the distance and a cool Southwest breeze blowing away the 102 degree high of the day. I packed up my camera gear around 12:30 AM and made it back home in Dallas at 3:30 in the morning. Yes, very tired today but happy to have crossed paths with this old tree and a beautiful night sky.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow