Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RAHAlpha
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Sony A77MII shooting dark?
1 month ago

I am hoping that the more experienced users here might have some insight into what appears to be a problem, that is, it appears that, though things look fine in the EVF and on the LCD, live view and while reviewed in camera, my shots seem to come out too dark once imported.

I have used LR through a couple versions and several updates and have used it with a Sony A55, A65, A77 and now an A77MII. Previously, I was able to find profiles for LR for those other cameras (the Dual Illuminant and the RRP) which worked pretty well with RAW files and, with RAW, LR would also see the standard Landscape, portrait, etc settings. Though the newest LR does recognize the A77MII (as ILCA-77M2) and offers the standard WB settings for it, I have a problem and a couple questions. No matter if I import with the develop settings at "None", "Dual" or "RRP" all my RAW files come in extremely dark. To even start to process an image, I have to start with bumping the exposure between 1 and 2 stops (If I shoot RAW+JPEG, the JPEGs are a little dark as well). I never had this problem with the A65 or A77 (generally importing with "Dual"). When shooting, exposure on both the EVF and LCD appears fine.

So, any thoughts on the issue? I'm wondering if it's the camera, or is it that there isn't a real profile for it in LR though it at least recognizes the camera , or a combination of LR 5.6 and a newly released camera just not playing well together for a combination of reasons? I could do a calibration in LR and save it as a preset but I didn't have to go to that extreme with previous cameras. Anyone know of a good profile that some talented user has already made? I hate to be stuck with having to do a profile that bumps all RAWs  2EV just to start.

Just for a little more info, I also reviewed a couple RAW shots in Sony's IDC software and they look horrible to start. Maybe IDC isn't up to speed for the A77MII either?

Any other A77MII users here and do you have any similar problems?

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try, whatever you shoot,  would be appreciated.

RAHAlpha

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow