Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,399Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not sure it's test sites driving the need for higher-resolution lenses...
In reply to paulski66, 2 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

...but rather advances in lens design which are allowing affordable, very-fast lenses to be sharp wide open, coupled with the dSLR boom which has opened up a wider market for such lenses.

Whereas in the past, many fast lenses were noticeably less-sharp unless stopped down one or two stops (and even older reviews, written before the "technical review" era would acknowledge this), we're now seeing many fast lenses that are beautifully-sharp wide-open. I don't think this is universally a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing either -if- they aren't giving up something else to get this razor sharpness.

From what I am seeing with these 2 sigma ART lenses, they did give up some -rendering- to get this level of focus plane sharpness. Enough so that I'm not interested in either of these latest sigma primes, in fact I purchased my 58 after I saw the initial round of test shots from the sigma and trust me, I wanted to like this much less expensive lens. For a 35, I ended up buying the MF zeiss when I really would have preferred an AF lens.

My original point was, I am personally OK with a lens not being the sharpest knife in the drawer if it brings other less technical, what I see as positive things, to the table. What I see on the online forums is "the masses" have a tunnel vision focus on sharpness and what it looks like zoomed in at 100%.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow