Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Pepe-Lepue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898Gear list
Like?
Re: a6000 Prime Lenses
In reply to audiobomber, 1 month ago

nevercat wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

yet in AF-C mode with Wide focus area, I get flashing green squares in the Center AF area. Clearly this does not show that PDAF is available, because everyone agrees the Touit does not use PDAF. From your description, the Sigma acts the same way.

I've read a lot on this forum that Sigma lenses only use PDAF on the centre point...

Then I would say they are confused, as TomTom50 is, but the flashing green squares in AF-C mode, Wide zone focus.

PDAF ONLY works with the centre PDAF point, so it make sense it will not work in AF-C or Wide zone, as there you need all the PDAF points.

There are 179 PDAF points, covering the entire frame. A lens like the 16-50mm can access them, therefore it can use PDAF tracking in AF-C mode, and AF-Lock. Lenses without PDAF do not have tracking. Clearly in AF-C mode they can only access the CDAF points clustered in the frame center, and just reset focus over and over, like a previous generation CDAF MILC. This is quite unlike PDAF tracking.

It the Sigma allows PDAF, then show me how it differs from the Touit, which clearly does not allow PDAF.

See above. Touit will after the FW update...

You've missed the point. I am saying that the Sigma and Touit behave similarly in AF-C mode. It makes no sense to say that the Sigma can read PDAF, when it acts just like a lens that can not read PDAF.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Except the Sigma does read PDAF in the center. And the well patterned many tracking squares in the center clearly indicate this. And Sonys documentation states exactly that these little squares mean PDAF.
--
'I am ze locksmith of love, no?'
Stephen Reed

Pepe-Lepue's gear list:Pepe-Lepue's gear list
RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow