Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarkyM
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?
Bad Copy of New Olympus 12-40
1 month ago

With the current $100 off sale, I thought I would give the 12-40 Pro a try and compare it to my Panny 12-35 so I ordered one from B&H. Packaging was fine and it looks new & perfect.

In just doing some test shots around the house & yard I just wasn't impressed at all, even at the wide end which is supposed to be stellar.

I thought maybe it was because I was shooting handheld or that I just wasn't getting good shots so I set up a crude "studio" test on a tripod with OIS off.

Below are 100% center crops of the Panny and Oly at 18mm, f/2.8 (the Oly was not much better at f4 and a just little sharper at f.5.6!). I shot at a few focal lengths and f/stops but these 18mm crops show what is going on best given the distance I was shooting from (about 6 feet) etc.

Is there a problem with Olympus QC lately? Has this lens been so popular that they are taking shortcuts??

I really do like the manual focus focus clutch, the closer focusing ability, the extra long end, the extra button on the lens and the size/weight are fine for me on my EM-10 with the grip.

Should I try another copy or give up and stick to my trusty 12-35? I am worried that there may be a bad "batch" or something.

-- hide signature --

Mark--

Panny 12-35 @ 18mm f/2.8:

Oly 12-40 @ 18mm f/2.8:

MarkyM's gear list:MarkyM's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow