Old gitzo tripod or New Mefoto Roadtrip?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
guitarwiz23
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Old gitzo tripod or New Mefoto Roadtrip?
2 months ago

As the title states, I am looking for a tripod. I have an old vivitar (or something like that) that was my dads, but it is not light, nor is it compact, the head is the type with the handle and I do not really like that, it is cumbersome to use in my opinion and the head cannot be replaced. I was going to wait until I have the money and get a mefoto Roadtrip, which can support ~20 lbs and can extend to ~60". Today I was looking at used camera gear and accessories online and came across a gitzo gilux totalux on keh for ~$100 that has a gitzo ball head on it. I cannot seem to find any specifications on how much this is actually rated to hold, but it folds pretty small and has the same kind of locking legs as the mefoto but it only extends to ~55". This is much cheaper than the $189 for the mefoto so I was wondering if it is a good idea. I also don't know if it is possible to replace the ball head with something else if I end up not liking the head that is on it, but if it is I could eventually put a 'better' head on it (maybe a vanguard with an arca swiss type plate).

Additional information: I would be looking to use this for things such as cityscapes (sunrise/sunset), Maybe some indoor portraits (with myself included), fireworks, and landscapes. I am sure I would find more uses as I improve my photography. Eventually when I go back to Disney again I would like to use it for the fireworks at night there. I currently have 2 lenses but am looking to eventually pick up a canon 17-55 and a 10-22. Maybe get rid of the 18-135 and pick up a tele zoom (or keep the 18-135 for convenience and get the 55-250 cheap, feel like I won't use it that often).

guitarwiz23's gear list:guitarwiz23's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow