Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,137
Like?
FZ1000 and moving targets
1 month ago

I'm curious to know which focus mechanism others are using for moving targets - people, pets, motorcycles, cars, whatever. My own results are very mixed and not so good.

Pinpoint focus seems to be the best option. If I can keep the pinpoint on the desired target, most images are in focus.

1-area focus is okay if the subject is moving across the visual field, not to far from the original plane of focus. If subject is moving toward me or away from me, focus is lost by the third frame, as the camera focuses on some nearby object. This is reproducible, over a few dozen series of 8 to 12 frames.

Tracking focus appears to work fairly well at times, and at other times the tracking frame either reverts to 1-area focus, or it skews off into a corner of the visual field, even though the original subject remains in the center of the field.

My conclusions so far are that (1) it's fairly easy to track moving subjects with either pinpoint focus or tracking focus, providing the subjects are staying close to the original plane of focus (moving across the visual field, rather than toward me or away from me)  (2) the FZ1000 isn't the camera of choice for subjects moving toward me or away from me - I don't think I'll even try it in the future (3) single area focus is very unreliable when the subject is moving.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow