Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rjansenbr2
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Should I get an A7?
1 month ago

I have just sold my Nikon D610. Loved the image quality, but found it too bulky to carry around (especially with the excellent, but somewhat heavy, Sigma 35mm 1.4).

I am now shooting with my good/old/trusted OM-D EM-5, which is excellent, but I am already missing the extra quality of the FF sensor.

What I´ve learned comparing the OM-D with the D610 is that, in the end, I prefer mirrorless cameras to DSLRs. The swivel LCD is very convenient and I love the EVF, seeing all the information and the fact that what you see is what you get is excellent. And, of course, the smaller size.

I shoot mainly family pictures, many of my 1 year daughter and also travel pictures. Face detection is something that became a huge plus for me, helping a lot taking pictures of my daughter. I guess it should work very well with the A7 (sony is usually the king of those gimmicks!).

Given the current sony line of lens, I may get the kit lens (28-70), plus the 35mm and the 55mm. For my style of shooting I´d be fine with the 55 only (maybe adding something wider later on), but I would get the 35mm for its small size (and despite its smaller aperture).

From what I´ve read, I can see the following drawbacks in comparison with the Em-5 (and similar m43): limited lens line (and generally bigger lenses); no in camera image stabilization.

Are there other drawbacks I should consider?

Is the A7 the right camera for me?

Thanks!

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow