Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series
In reply to clarnibass, 4 months ago

clarnibass wrote:

The violin player photo that was posted at 185mm is hard to compare because of FL...
Most of my photos are of concerts and performances and IMO I don't have an issue with the 50mm 1.8G in these situations.

Do you have samples?  I used the violin player shot because it's a good example of smooth transition zone of focus, not for comparing the 80-200 f2.8 to the 50mm f1.8g. I could just as easily posted some shots from the 58g for this purpose.

I know some people like the 50 1.8g lens, but I've just never seen sample images (of my own or from others) of anything but nervous bokeh if the background is busy. Many times it simply ruins the images for me. Plus the transition zone shares this same nervous nature (even if the background is smooth), which is just a deal killer for my style of photography.

Yes this lens is sharp, light and cheap, but all of this still will not win it a place in my bag unless I plan to be shooting at f5.6-f8. And in that case, I might as well leave the bag at home and just carry my 35-70 f2.8 (FX) or sigma 17-70 (DX), both of which have nicer bokeh wide open.

I don't mean to offend anyone but this lens is like the 16-85 was for me. A lens some people love, that I just never could seem to get images I was happy with from. Neither is a lens I would buy into the nikon f mount to be able to use.

It's a shame all these internet test sites have created an environment when lens makers have to focus all their energy into focus plane sharpness at the expense of other optical qualities. And if someone does step outside of this paradigm, like Nikon did with their 58, the lens is considered "a joke".

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow