Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338
Like?
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series
In reply to draculr, 4 months ago

draculr wrote:

From what I can see the Nikon 1.8g lenses ain't bad, particularly the 28mm. It just seems like these days no one bothers with these primes and goes for the Sigma so I wouldn't mind some opinions

Everything I write here is just my opinion based on my experience and what I prefer. I know others have other preferences, etc.

I use the 28mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses, all 1.8G. I wouldn't even consider the Sigmas because of their size and weight. I don't have a problem with it or naything like that (FWIW I swim and do some sports), I just like to use light lenses. The sacrifice of 2/3 of a stop is not a huge deal when it is between f/1.8 and f/1.4. The sacrifice of f/2.8 instead of f/1.8 would be huge for me.

In general, I think all of these lenses are excellent. There might be a few things where they are not as good as some other lenses, like the Sigmas or other Nikon models, but it really depends.

I disagree that the bokeh of the 50mm f/1.8G is "nervous". I'd say that overall it is good. It is just not as good as some other lenses.

The violin player photo that was posted at 185mm is hard to compare because of FL...
Most of my photos are of concerts and performances and IMO I don't have an issue with the 50mm 1.8G in these situations.

As far as build quailty, who can really say? I guess Nikon does drop and other tests, but I'm definitely not going to drop mine on purpose
If you do drop it, or it is damaged somehow, who can really say what will happen? Maybe the Sigma 50mm will stop working and will only need a $300 repair... but the 50mm 1.8G can be replaced for less
You can almost get two each of the three of them for approx the same price

All three lenses are not great for manual focusing IMO. They are fine really, but just not as good as some older MF lenses I have, for example. They are in order from best to worst: 85mm, 50mm, 28mm. The 28mm has the longest "dead zone" i.e. when you change direction, nothing happens and the turning is easier. The 85mm has the least "dead zone". The focus ring of the 28mm also feels flimsier, but that's just an impression.
If I was going to use them mainly for video, I probably wouldn't buy them. I would get manual focus lenses, or one with a stabilier for hand holding, etc.

For what I do, these are my three most used lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow