Families torn apart by Ebola: Photographer risks his own life to chronicle harrowing scenes in Liber

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,537Gear list
Like?
You could not pay me enough to go to Liberia
In reply to CanonKen, 2 months ago

Ebola isn't airborne. You need physical contact with victims or their body fluids. Two days ago I spoke with a friend, a retired doctor who worked almost his entire career in Africa, about this. He'd actually been involved in treating an outbreak of Ebola and his opinion is that the problem was one of widespread ignorance rather than high intrinsic risk although of course the fatality rates are >50% if you catch it. Some of the victims' families have been raiding the hospitals and taking patients out (to save them from the doctors...)

As for Liberia, the country is a 5h!th0le. There's certainly a substantial risk involved in going there, Ebola or no Ebola.

Edit: Just in case anyone thinks I'm overstating the case, I just stumbled across the following article (in the UK "Independent"). You couldn't make this **it up.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ebola+outbreak%3A+Serious+infection+risk+as+%27at+least+20%27+patients+flee+Liberia+quarantine+clinic+after+protesters+break+in+and+loot+building&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB563GB563&oq=Ebola+outbreak%3A+Serious+infection+risk+as+%27at+least+20%27+patients+flee+Liberia+quarantine+clinic+after+protesters+break+in+and+loot+building&aqs=chrome..69i57.625j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow