captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,079Gear list
Like?
Re: a6000 Prime Lenses
In reply to rogjil, 1 month ago

rogjil wrote:

tomtom50 wrote:

AHM wrote:

The Sigma 30mm f2.8 is just as sharp as the 35mm and goes for $170.

This is good advice for still photography in not to dark situation, for video the OSS in the Sony lens is very good. The larger aperture is important for low light and for better bokeh.

Additionally, I don't believe the Sigma has as fast and good autofocus as the Sony 35mm.

I have the Sony 50mm and the Sigma 30mm and AF is a shade faster on the Sony on the a6000, but you have to try hard to notice a difference.

No argument that f1.8 and OSS are nice but for many they don't justify 3X the price, especially considering that at like apertures the Sigma is a tad sharper, especially f2.8. And the Sigma is smaller.

I have the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and the Sony 35mm f1.8 and autofocus on the A6000 between these two lenses is no contest, the Sony 35mm wins it is noticeably faster.

Having said that I cannot bear to part with the Sigma 30mm, for the price it is an outstanding lens and I like a lot of the images I have taken with it. Also video is just not my thing so the lack of OSS is easily fixed by carrying a lightweight tripod.

For the price of the Sony 35mm you could have both the Sigma 30mm and also the 19mm f2.8. I used these lenses just about exclusively for 2 years, I did use an old Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 that I found for $50 at times, but I am not the worlds best manual focus proponent so it was never my go to lens.

When I bought the 2 Sigmas the Sony 35mm was not available and if I had to make a choice today I have no idea what I would do.

Good Luck

Just wanted to add that if bokeh is import to you with a 30mm lens, then try the Sony E30 macro.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow