Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
Replaced my GH4 with a FZ1000 yesterday ... first impressions
4 months ago

The circumstances requiring the replacement are described on the MicroFourThirds forum here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54213341

For a variety of reasons I do a lot of my photography from the cab of my truck shared with two big doggies.  The FZ1000 seemed a perfect camera for this purpose which would enable me to keep my ILCs a little cleaner since I keep them in little camera bags in a duffle bag in the truck with me.

I downloaded/installed  LR5.6 so that I could continue to shoot RAW with the FZ1000

Haven't read, uploaded or opened the CD Manual yet.  So I was recalling my days (prior to MFT) when I shot jpegs with Panny travel cameras.

FZ1000 is BIG, bulkier than my GH2 or GH4 but fits the hand nicely.  Button functions and locations are very different from MFT but I will customize in a week or so.  EVF is very nice, bit of waver when moving side to side but not bad.  Top of lens says "25-400" and the barrel extension is calibrated in 35mm AOV equivalents.  I recall seeing the equivalent FL in the EVF, a nice difference from MFT.  Nice toggle beween zoom and focus for the fly-by-wire ring on the barrel.  I missed the touch screen but got used to the buttons and set the camera up, in the truck, using the EVF.   I am an EVF shooter and need to be able to make camera setting when holding the camera to my (weak, elderly) eyes.

Set up histogram (as I always shoot raw, usually ETTR when required).  Don't yet know how to make the histogram bigger.  Chimping is fine with RGBY histogram available. Zooming in on the chimp shot with the tele lever around the shutter release is nice.

Single, clickable, rear dial is same as GH2 and works fine.  Battery is interchangeable with my GH2.

Didn't have time to do much shooting and it was raining, at times hard.  But I did take a few pix, all from the truck, of some of my typical stuff.  Very few insects, no birdies in the rain, though.

The images are uploaded to a DPR album : In most I kept the file sizes large so that you could see all the noise, fuzz, operator error etc.  All the -1 images are uncropped, with minimal processing.  The thistle -1-2 image is heavily cropped to see the fly.  The dock -1-2 image is processed in LR 5.6 to bring up the darks, etc.  See  if you can find the VERY CLEAR seagull flying in that pic.  You'll need to go full size, though.

20140816 FZ1000 first light

After day one, I am certainly NOT disappointed.  I think that camera will really grow on me.

But what am I gonna do with the GX7, the GH2 and the GH4 (when it returns from repair)?      And those beautiful lenses!

Lots of fun!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow