Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,945
Like?
Re: Am I the only one who feels this way?
In reply to HSway, 1 month ago

Hey Hynek:

A quick word on the Sigma 35 and the highlights. You don't live in the USA so I don't know if you've ever been to Bryce Canyon National Park here, in Utah. This is where I spent the most time with the Sigma and Nikon 35's last spring - 10 days, 10 scenes, lots of parallel shooting as I tried to sort out the differences. The reason I bring up the location is that the color, texture, tonality, and hue of the sand layers in Bryce is very specific. I've been to Bryce a lot, and know the park pretty well. The Sigma was only lens I had with me that *accurately* reproduced the tonality and color subtleties of the sand, which lies in the lighter tones. The Nikon bunched up the tones and put a slight cast on it. The Zeiss 21 also gets the tones right. The 24/1.4G gets the tones pretty much right. The 200/2 and the Zeiss 135/2 certainly do as well. The 28/1.8G doesn't quite nail them, but it does better than the 35/1.8G. This rendition of finely spaced hues and tones in the sand was the primary difference maker for me in determining which lens I preferred - I knew what the real stuff looked like and I knew which lens did a better job of reproducing that. Doesn't of course mean you have to agree - but for me it was actually a very easy decision once I started looking at things on my good monitor back home (forget trying to evaluate anything on the garbage cheap laptop screens, right?).

I'll be curious what you think of the Sigma 50 art. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to put that lens through the paces as right now I'm working on finishing up some printing jobs before the next phase of my season starts and things get busy again.

Hope you are well...

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow