Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?
M + 35mm f/2 IS USM first impressions
4 months ago

I've had both the EOS M and the 35mm f/2 IS USM for at least 6 months each, but not at the same time. I received my 2nd EOS M recently after selling the first a while ago but my EF to EF-M adapter arrived from China today ($62 well spent). As soon as it arrived, I unpacked it, bolted it on and... had to leave to take my wife and daughter shopping!

So, I didn't get a chance to use it today until just now when my wife was giving our daughter a bath. I must say, I'm impressed with the focus speed and the lack of hunting back and forth. I remember the 40mm f/2.8 STM being laggy on the M but the 35mm f/2 IS USM is pretty snappy. Also, it's definitely faster than the 22/2, no question about it. It's tough to put any kind of quantitative evaluation on it (ie, half the time until focus confirmation beep after pressing the focus button - which would be my pessimistic estimation if pushed to make one) but it's noticeably faster. In fact, my experience just now (at light levels requiring 1/125, f/2, ISO1600 for a properly exposed image which realistically would benefit from being lifted a third of a stop) was basically that an instant after I pressed the * button (back button focus) it beeped with confirmation.

Color me impressed... AND happy!

Here's a shot from the fun This was cropped down to a 9.6 mp image (for modesty lol) before I resized it (3803 x 2535).  PP'ing was +1/3 brightness, -1 saturation, USM of 2/7/4, DLO.  All else was default.

If you have the M and you're deciding between the 35mm f/2 IS USM and the 40mm f/2.8 STM, I gotta say that the 35mm f/2 IS USM is the way to go if focus speed matters and the cost difference doesn't matter.  One thing though, the lens DOES block the AF assist lamp, especially when the hood is on.  So if that matters, take it into consideration.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow