Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
thelenspainter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I the only one who feels this way?
In reply to HSway, 4 months ago

HSway wrote:

Well let me tell you are coming this a bit too far. Mike likes great glass that he has been critically assessing over a long period of time in nuances some may not care about. He knows his requirements for practical and personal reasons and they aren’t average. No bad blood needed because people are different I guess. I see him an exceptional source of information and views taking advantage of his passion and experience. But he will be attacked because of some other forms of obsessions and maybe insecurity of which some can be popping out here and there and I hope he is taking that with a good humour.

I think because (as far as I can tell) English is not your first language, you have missed the tone of sarcasm in my post. It was meant as a goodhearted ribbing, not an attack.

One thing is an opinion and decision that 24-120/4 is good enough or not noticing the field curvature (which has nothing to do with the lower resolution sensor, certainly not with 24mp) and quite another is to see other views as obsessive. I hope you didn’t mean it very seriously. While at this though, I think that there are many kinds of obsessions and especially for those that frequent the forums often while presenting a stream of view firmly and strangely stuck in one direction. And then, they start talking about the obsessions of other peoples. Maybe Mike presents his positions a tad more vigorously for the taste of some but frankly that’s an option everyone has got here.

Very well, I'll elaborate. I sometimes take issue with Mike because he magnifies what are in fact almost microscopic differences between already extremely good lenses. I've said this before: 99% of people would not be able to see the differences he detects. Mostly they are differences visible only on D800E, with careful, slow testing in a studio with controlled lighting. In day to day shooting, they simply are not apparent. Further to this, many of these differences are smaller than the manufacturer's assembly tolerances, so something as simple as getting a less than stellar copy of the lens can erase them completely.

I have at various times replicated some of the tests he talks about, where I owned the same lenses. On my equipment, the D600 with 24mp, the differences could not be seen, no matter how carefully I tested. I test software for a living, so I know about testing protocol.

I'm sure Mike does what he does it because he enjoys it, but it can encourage an unhealthy obsession with perfection which pushes aside all pragmatism. As the saying goes: the perfect is the enemy of the good.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow