Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
nikon201068
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: Help with new PC purchase
In reply to Jim Cockfield, 2 months ago

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Pros and Cons.

The Acer has a lot more memory installed (meaning it's a good deal at that price point if you look at current memory prices). Whether or not you need that much memory is another story (as I only have 12GB right now in a Dell XPS 8500 and that's more than enough for my purposes).

But, that Acer does not have a dedicated video card (it's using built in Intel Graphics instead) and it uses a slightly slower Core i7 4770 CPU (versus the slightly faster Core i7 4790 CPU in the Dell config you're looking at).

The Dell also has more USB ports (for example, 6 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 Ports; versus the Acer's 2 USB 3.0 Ports and 6 USB 2.0 ports).

In addition that Acer comes with a weaker 300 Watt Power Supply, meaning it would not support anything other than lower end video cards that could run from PCIe Bus Power if you wanted to add a dedicated card to it later (and it does not include a video card by default).

In contrast, the 460 Watt PSU in the Dell is designed to support Video Cards drawing up to 225 Watts (just for the video card), if you wanted to replace the GeForce GT 720 that comes with the Dell with something faster later on (whereas the Acer doesn't even include a dedicated video card).

The Dell also has an mSATA slot on it's motherboard that you could use for an mSATA form factor SSD model without wasting a drive bay for one.

Again, pros and cons. Personally, I'd go with the Dell, because I'm far more familiar with them (as I already have a Dell XPS 8500, which is very similar to that Dell XPS 8700).

See this post from today on some of the upgrade paths a Dell XPS 8700 would give you:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54214925

BTW, it's probably less expensive to buy a box with 8GB of memory directly from Dell for $675 including shipping (using the 10% off coupon code they have for XPS desktop purchases this weekend I mentioned in that post) and upgrading it to more memory if you ever need more later; versus spending $699 for that Costco Dell config and paying $29.99 for shipping. If you're not already a Costco member, you'll need to spend an extra $55 for Costco membership, too.

On the other hand, Costco does extend the warranty by an extra year on computers if you're a member. So, having a Costco membership does have some benefits.

But, if you don't care about things like gaming where a faster video card may be needed (meaning you may need to replace the power supply in the Acer to support a higher end video card card, since it's 300 Watt PSU is not going to work with anything other than bus powered cards), it also looks like a pretty decent deal given the 32GB of memory it has installed.

Again, pros and cons to either of them.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Some good points with the Dell.  Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow