ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meekyman
Contributing MemberPosts: 901
Like?
Considering xe-2 - some input please
3 months ago

Hello Folks,

I am a hobbyist photographer and am keen on landscapes.  I have gone from a Nikon D50 some time back through several Nikons to a D700 I bought in 2010.  I have some great quality lenses and this modern camera yet most of the features I was not using at all when taking landscapes.  I realised all I wanted was the full frame sensor.  So, now I primarily use a 4x5 film camera for landscape photography and lusting after large sensors has been abated!!  Clearly, weight and bulk are no problem for me when using this camera on a photography specific trip!!  So, it's getting to the time where I plan on simplifying my digital camera for something that I can get great images from for on non-photography specific trips.  I would still like to make images that are printable to at least A4.  Don't want nasty Disney type colours or point and shoot quality.  So, thinking of the xe-2.

I like travelling with my wife, and over the last few times we have holidayed I take the D700 out less and less.  I think part of the problem for me is that I have 3 prime lenses in the 21-50mm range which give great images (for my landscapes), but am not really great for travelling with.  Sure, I could just get a good quality mid-range zoom for the Nikon, but then add that to the camera and you have a beast.  So, once again thinking of the xe2 and the 18-55 mm zoom.  I will go and try the camera for size.  Maybe even rent one for a day.

So, how is the xe-2 for landscape photography?  Anything especiialy annoying in that regard for those that are in the know?  How is the 18-55mm?  Any visible distortion?  If so, easily corrected? Is flare controlled?  Does the lens rotate when focussing making use of rectangular filters/polariser a pain?  Is there any sort of depth of field scale?

I would probably add the 14mm as well.  Opinions of this with regard to the same questions?

Finally, in the UK fuji are offering £200 cashback on the xe-2 + 18-55mm (or any two fuji lenses as well).  Is this a marketing ploy as something comes along to shift old stock?

Cheers

Graham

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow