Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
draculr
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series
In reply to SanMat, 4 months ago

SanMat wrote:

Based on your website (looks terrific), you're a much more experienced portrait photographer, so take my response for what it is.

I used to have the Sigma 85 f/1.4. Big and heavy - yes. A while ago I got a bit tired of the weight and wanted the 85mm length for more street/walkaround photography, so I sold that lens and swapped it for the new Nikon 85 f/1.8. I do like the Nikon, and the weight difference is significant. However, if I could go back in time I would, and I'd keep the Sigma (and then perhaps save some more $$ and later purchase the Nikon). I won't attempt to give a scientific analysis, but from my experience the Sigma is noticeably sharper (with terrific bokeh), and does produce great images at f/1.4, so the extra stop is definitely very usable.

I don't think I'll sell my Nikon f/1.8 - it is very good, and in studio conditions especially it's a gem, but that Sigma is definitely a step up all around. I've heard rumors of a new 85 f/1.4 "Art" series lens on the horizon. No idea if that is true - I just think the current Sigma 85 f/1.4 is outstanding. (I've actually thought of picking up a Pentax k-3 to use with that Sigma lens (and other non-stabilized lenses) since the Pentax has the in-body stabilization).

My two cents.

Pete

Thanks!

I did try the Sigma 85 at one stage but just didn't gel with it - I just didn't find the way it rendered the scene all that appealing compared to lenses like to Canon 85LII or the Nikon 85 g's.

Ever since I switched to Nikon and grabbed the 70-200 I tend to use that much more often for portrait shoots since the bokeh is very much to my liking. When I do use the 85 it'd be mostly due to me wanting to carry something less obtrusive which is why I have the 1.8g.

If the 28 is the wide equivalent to the 85 I think it's a lens I will get along with quite well! But it seems to be a lens people skip over in favor of the Sigma hence I wanted some opinions

I am pretty sure I did a major impulse buy on the Sigma 50mm (new lens everyone was raving about just happened to be in stock when I was at the store) and now feel a bit guilty about it as I rarely find a use for it

-- hide signature --
 draculr's gear list:draculr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow