Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
SanMat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,811
Like?
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series
In reply to draculr, 4 months ago

Based on your website (looks terrific), you're a much more experienced portrait photographer, so take my response for what it is.

I used to have the Sigma 85 f/1.4.  Big and heavy - yes.  A while ago I got a bit tired of the weight and wanted the 85mm length for more street/walkaround photography, so I sold that lens and swapped it for the new Nikon 85 f/1.8.  I do like the Nikon, and the weight difference is significant.  However, if I could go back in time I would, and I'd keep the Sigma (and then perhaps save some more $$ and later purchase the Nikon).  I won't attempt to give a scientific analysis, but from my experience the Sigma is noticeably sharper (with terrific bokeh), and does produce great images at f/1.4, so the extra stop is definitely very usable.

I don't think I'll sell my Nikon f/1.8 - it is very good, and in studio conditions especially it's a gem, but that Sigma is definitely a step up all around.  I've heard rumors of a new 85 f/1.4 "Art" series lens on the horizon.  No idea if that is true - I just think the current Sigma 85 f/1.4 is outstanding.  (I've actually thought of picking up a Pentax k-3 to use with that Sigma lens (and other non-stabilized lenses) since the Pentax has the in-body stabilization).

My two cents.

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow