Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,817Gear list
Like?
Thinking about GX7 option
4 months ago

Hokay - Quick and Brief intro - I have an EM5 which I like a lot , it`s "mine" as opposed to a work camera, previously I`ve shared my G1X Mk1 with work (It gets used as a silent shooter) as it`s a handy size and has good range, excellent optics and a sort of OVF for when steady holding is desperate but the EM5 has supplanted it for leisure use and only gets used for work, but it`s hammered now so thinking of replacing the G1X with a GX7 (which is actually smaller!)

The personal side of things is still fine with the EM5 (which I`ll keep as I love Oly colour in C1 and the handling) but after briefly having a used GM1 (sent back because it had dust under the SSWF) I got hooked on the silent shutter and incredible AF speed, faster than the EM5 and especially compared to the turgid G1X by a massive margin (incomparable in low light) - a lot of my work for the G1X is in auditoriums, places of worship, seminars, wedding candids and commercial environments where the leaf shutter is essential (had an X100 prior to it and an R1 before that) . also the GX7 has typically superb video , the G1X was no slouch but it`s not a Panny video wise and the files are massive, there`s a slight rez increase and the silent work cam would gain access to my 14mm F2.5, 45mm F1.8 and 45-150

so instead of replacing a £350 mint used GM1/32 kit with another (I loved the GM1`s tinyness but liked the silent shutter more) , I thought of a mint used GX7 + 14-42-IIHD kit (£400) from a dealer and sell the kit lens as I already have one - BTW unlike most I`m not interested in the 12-32 - I appreciate its optical qualities for the size but disliked the handling and lack of reach - also the 14-42-IIHD is less distorted is about the same size as the extended 12-32, a lot tougher and has nicer bokeh ...

Anyway a few GX7 questions

1:- the EVF gets slammed but is it worse than a G1/2/3 ? as they`re more than good enough for me for this kinda cam, lets face it, it`s gotta be better than the G1X OVF !!

2:- the IBIS gets slammed for being 2 Axis but I only need it for the 14mm and 45mm, Ok for those ? , the EP1 & EPL2 were fine with the 20mm and 14mm .

3:- I know it`s a thorny one but how is shutter shock when using the mech shutter compared to the EM5 ? - is there a EFC option as well as the Electronic or Mechanical options ?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow