Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chuxter
Forum ProPosts: 14,173Gear list
Like?
My D810 has spots!
2 months ago

I tried to do this several hours ago, but typed "MD810 has spots"...

Gosh, I may have to return it?

I have tried using the internal "Sensor Cleaning" feature several times.

I blew the sensor off with my Rocket Blower.

I used a lens brush to try and dislodge the stuff that showed up...followed by a Rocket blast again.

NADA! Here is a picture:

A crop of my D810 sensor, showing 6 "dust" particles...there were others too, but this was the biggest cluster...

View: gallery page

Then I used Eclipse E2. Does anybody know if the "E2" is still recommended over the "E" for the D810? Whatever, two swipes and everything was gone! Perhaps I can keep the D810...

Notice the diffraction rings around each shadow.

In case you are interested, I didn't use a lens. So you can't initiate a discussion about what f/stop I used. I have a macro lens that stops down to f/32, but to use it I would have to wait for a cloudless day and run outside between each step [I probably need the exercise?].

My procedure is to remove the lens and point the body at a small LED "flashlight" about 8-9 feet away. I use the kind w/o a reflector; just a bare LED, so the spot size is quite small. I expose to get a grey result; if it is white, the spots don't show up well.

This produces a rather collimated light, which casts very distinct shadows of even the smallest particles...but w/ diffraction rings, which can't be avoided.

Here is a picture [w/ a 105mm lens] looking at the LED:

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +8 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow