Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,011Gear list
Like?
41.5 million pieces of glass
3 months ago

I took a tour of The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis (IX), St. Louis, MO. It's one of the largest collections of mosaic in the world: 41.5 million glass tessare employing 7000 colors. At 83,000 sq, ft. there isn't a drop of paint in the place; all marble, mosaics and some wood. The gold tiles, and there are a LOT of them, are real gold sandwiched between glass layers.

My wife and I were taking a lead tour so I had little time to set up my shots. Also the lighting was very poor. I did the best I could with a monopod. For the most part, flash pictures didn't come out well - too many shiny surfaces. The images I offer here don't do the place justice. It is breath taking to be there. See the full set of pictures at

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7506971407/albums/basilica-of-st-louis

BTW, tiles were deliberately set at various angles by the artists to create the "glitter" effect, sometimes appearing as burnt pixels in the photos.

Bill

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post, except people pix, are unrestricted - copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. Please do not redistribute any of the people pix I post. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow