41.5 million pieces of glass

Started Aug 15, 2014 | Photos thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
41.5 million pieces of glass
Aug 15, 2014

I took a tour of The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis (IX), St. Louis, MO. It's one of the largest collections of mosaic in the world: 41.5 million glass tessare employing 7000 colors. At 83,000 sq, ft. there isn't a drop of paint in the place; all marble, mosaics and some wood. The gold tiles, and there are a LOT of them, are real gold sandwiched between glass layers.

My wife and I were taking a lead tour so I had little time to set up my shots. Also the lighting was very poor. I did the best I could with a monopod. For the most part, flash pictures didn't come out well - too many shiny surfaces. The images I offer here don't do the place justice. It is breath taking to be there. See the full set of pictures at

BTW, tiles were deliberately set at various angles by the artists to create the "glitter" effect, sometimes appearing as burnt pixels in the photos.

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post, except people pix, are unrestricted - copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. Please do not redistribute any of the people pix I post. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow