Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cyuill2007
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
AF Setting Advice Requested
4 months ago

Yesterday I used my V1 and 30-110mm f/3.5 to 5.6 1 Nikkor lens to take a sequence of photos of my son bicycling along a track. When I uploaded the photos onto my computer and looked at them I was disappointed to see that he was out of focus in over half of the photos. Here is one of the better ones, which is pretty much what I wanted to achieve.

ISO 720, 1/125 sec, f/5.6: The ISO/exposure settings for all images in the sequence.

I had set the camera in the following way.

• AF setting: AF-C
  • Exposure mode: A
  • Continuous: Continuous
  • Shutter type: E
  • ISO sensitivity: 3200A (all in the sequence were ISO 720)
  • Vibration reduction: NORM
  • AF-area mode: Auto-area

I shot a continuous sequence of 12 or so photos. Below are 100% crops of my son's head from 5 of the photos, including the one above. All of the crops and the photo above are from OOC JPEGs (no post processing). Refer to the above photo regarding comments about parts that are in or out of focus.

1st of 5: Back focused, with grass by the track in focus.

2nd of 5: Best focused of the sequence. Most of his body is also more or less in focus.

3rd of 5: Nothing is in focus. Front focusing?

4th of 5: Face is kind of in focus, but little else is.

5th of 5: Bottom front pant legs & bicycle chain kind of in focus.

I am a little disappointed by this AF performance. His distance from me was not changing greatly, and I feel the AF system of the V1 should have easily been able to handle it. I know that some of this might be blurring due to subject movement, but I see evidence of some front and back focusing  going on. I have taken sequences of shots that taxed the V1's AF system more than this sequence and gotten much better results. The only thing I did that is a deviation from what I typically do is using AF-C instead of AF-A. I may go back to exclusively using AF-A in the future.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to what I could do in future to get better, more-consistent AF out of sequenced shooting like this in the future?

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow