Did you find you didn't 'need' the SEL55F18Z? (pics)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pixelpushing
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Did you find you didn't 'need' the SEL55F18Z? (pics)
4 months ago

Got this about a week ago, and while it does ooze build quality and takes the sharpest edged pics I've yet seen come out of my A7 (with good to excellent contrast depending on the settings), I'm not sure it's such an amazing performer that it justifies the $1K.

Neither really landscape nor portrait (but can be used for either to some extent), certainly renders amazing detail but not much if any better than a really good vintage prime in the f8-11 range, IMO, and without the attending fun 'character. For example, I don't think I'd want to give up the bokeh and color/tones/contrast of my Canon FDn 50mm f1.4.

So other than OSS and AF (which appear to function well enough), what's really the big advantage? I'm sure just a week or so with a weekend in Monterey wasn't enough for me to realize the potential of the lens, FWIW.

I'm a bit on the fence, but it's not that I'm asking anyone to convince me, either way. Just thought it might be a worthwhile discussion to have.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow