Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ausfart
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Olympus OM-D or Fuji X series for digi newbie
4 months ago

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed prior, but ive got to ask per my my needs. I want to buy a digital camera for the first time. I've been researching like mad for months and I'm almost ready to make a purchase, just have a few film cameras to sell off first. I've been leaning towards the mirrorless format and started by really digging the Olympus OMD-E10 and E5. Then I happened on a Fuji display and started to seriously consider going that direction, X-pro-1, X-E1, or maybe even the X-T-1. Both systems seem to have redeeming qualities and from those two systems are where I'd like to choose my first real digital camera. I'm a film shooter, and have been since I started out in photography. I've acquired quite a bit of gear(lenses) from Nikon, Minolta, Oly, Canon, Pentax, etc., and even a couple Leica old IIIc 50mm's. I'll still shoot film and will probably shift to using my MF gear as I do my 35mm stuff now. So that's me and my background and here are my questions for those who've bought either system:

1) which works better, or is easier to create a system using legacy lenses?

2) which would feel/behave more like a film camera so that my entry will be relatively easy and fun? I rented a Nikon D800 for a wedding shoot and hated using it. Got good shots, but I never felt comfortable with it and felt I could've done better had a spent 6 weeks studying the manual. I can pick up most any film camera and know how to use it in 5 mins or less. I don't mind a spin-y wheel as my F5 kind of has one, but I don't like a bunch of menus.

3) which has, IYHO, a longer projected utility? I like the Oly because it's closest to what I shoot with now, but the Fuji is very familiar as well and I like the idea of having an optical viewfinder(x-pro). That being said, I don't want to find out next summer my camera is dated and I need to buy another so that I can stay current. Buying a digi now is my attempt at staying current.

4) I want to be clear that I have no beef with digital photography and I don't think I'm special or clever because I use film. Most, if not all of my shots end up being scanned and on a computer so I'm just going around my butt to get to my elbow. I'm just a rube who came down from the hollar and realized he needed unleaded fuel to suplement his moonshine run car.

Thank you all in advance and please go easy on me.

AmW

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow