SPP 6.0.5 halos on X3F fill light images . . .

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496Gear list
Like?
SPP 6.0.5 halos on X3F fill light images . . .
4 months ago

I don't normally use much fill light, and in the past, when I have tried that, I never noticed the "halos" that it creates, like some sort of garbage HDR I've seen from what I consider to be "bad" software. Last night I was playing with the "old barn" photo, making into a B&W, using the "Monochrome" tab in SPP 6.0.5. You probably know the photo I'm talking about. You've probably seen it here before. I found in the end that I preferred what I got by using X3F fill light at a setting of just +0.3 anyway, but when I started adjusting I was really bringing back the exposure and boosting the fill light. THAT's when I noticed the halo affect. Below is the original image in color, processed the way I like it, followed by some of my B&W results, including a couple of the results I got by taking a 16 bit TIFF into Aperture.

All these jpegs are compressed a little (using setting 11, so as to maintain a good quality image).

I call this version the original color version, though it looks much different from the default settings to me.

Fill light at +0.3

Similar, but maybe even better result from Aperture

More fill light

Even more fill light

Extreme adjustments in Aperture

Extreme amounts of fill light (and other adjustments) - notice the "halo" or glow around the building?

I wish X3F fill light gave control over the "halo" affect, because it is really obvious in cases like this one. Aperture seems MUCH better, in this regard, with its "Radius" control over the "Shadows" adjustment.

Other than taking a TIFF into GIMP or Photoshop, there seems to be no solution for this "halo" problem, except if Sigma were to add a "radius" adjustment or something similar to enhance the fill light tool in SPP. I wonder how that might work.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow