Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Willis
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Sony A7 - Underexposure Issues
4 months ago

I purchased a Sony A7 a few months ago and have been travelling Asia and Europe with it ever since new. Since day 1, I have noticed that shots are always usually a little underexposed. Highlights are exposed well, but shadow areas are always too dark and lack distinguishing detail. I expected after a while I would get used to the camera and be able to correct this. This has not been the situation. I still get poor detail in the shadows and a tendency to underexpose, even when I have sometimes added 2/3 to a full stop of additional exposure compensation. This is beginning to annoy me a little as this camera should provided accurate and good exposures in normal situations using an Auto mode.

Maybe I have the exposure settings incorrect, I think this camera as a multi point measuring meter which is meant to provide an average exposure. It always seems to be too contrasty or that there is not a smooth transition from deep shadow to bright highlight.

Has anyone else experienced this with the A7 and/or have suggestions about how to smooth out the extremes. I find myself using Lightrooms shadow compensation to bring up shadow detail on nearly every pic I take.

Help and advice needed.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow