ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,863
Like?
GX7 on DxO lens reviews
1 month ago

Ahoi!

I am currently thinking about getting a 25 mm lens, so I checked several reviews. Among those was DxO lens reviews, which I like for their measurement of t-stop vs. f-stop and very detailed graphs for various factors, like sharpness distribution. I am more likely to base my buying decision on the Lenstip review, but noticed one thing about the DxO numbers that strike me very odd.

Regardless of which MFT lens I chose, all lenses are reported as being considerably less sharp across the field when combined with the Panasonic GX7. All other numbers don't change, just sharpness. And while other camera+lens combinations also do show some differences in sharpness and t-stop measurements the GX7 really stands out being far off.

To give an example: The Panasonic 42.5/1.2 is listed as "6M M-Pix" lens on the GX7, but "12M M-Pix" on the GM1. The latter of which doesn't get the highest marks for lens reviews either, but still comes out high on top of the GX7 measurements. That difference is based on the GX7's sharpness being measured *nowhere* in the green!

I don't see any pronounced differences in the DPR comparison tool and wouldn't expect any either. So it seems like DxO may (understandably) only use a single sample camera for their lens reviews and (unfortunately) don't seem to check when some measurements are far off the mark?!

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow