Why is the Sony WIFI implementation so HORRIFIC?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Why is the Sony WIFI implementation so HORRIFIC?
1 month ago

**Note, I am not referencing the Cameras ability to connect to my PlayMemories App on my DROID phone. Connecting to PlayMemories on an iPhone however is a completely different story and almost as nightmarish as this.

I am referencing the ongoing connectivity issues between Sony cameras and WiFi routers that is necessary to facilitate any kind of direct connection to the internet through the camera. Does anyone else have this problem? I have searched threads and it seems like many, many people experience nightmares when trying to connect their cameras to their local wifi networks and then some come up with elaborate workarounds to get it to work 25% of the time. I feel like I am back in 1998 trying to troubleshoot my Compaq Presario's connection issues with Prodigy.

Sony, if you are going to implement a feature, and advertise said feature as though it works. IT SHOULD WORK. I am abundantly fluent with computers. I got a companion RX 100M III for my wife so she can stop posting pictures from her iPhone to facebook that look like crap.

"Its easy.." I assured her. "You can do it at home or set it up at your moms house, you just open the Direct Connect App and put your information in one time and it's all set." "Oh, that's so awesome!" She replied.........

I have been sitting here for a total of about 6 hours trying to get either my A6000 or our RXM3 to reliably connect to my Apple WiFi router. Router issues you suggest? I tried an Asus and a Netgear. Frequency issues perhaps? I have tried 2.4 and 5ghz signals and have disabled everything else in the house. Maybe its bad luck? Two different cameras working at two different times? My Nex 6 was terrible at this as well.

In my house I have 3 smart TVs, a PS3, PS4, Droid Razr, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, Roku, Apple TV, Apple MacBook Pro (2), IBM Thinkpad, HP Desktop, Dell Desktop, Dell Laptop a baby monitor and MY GODDAMN REFRIGERATOR have all been reliably connected to my Apple WiFi router since we moved into this brand new house I designed for technological ease 4 months ago. Yet my entire paycheck consuming top of the line Sony mirrorless cameras will ONLY connect if I am within 5 feet of the router and every single device in my house is disabled.

Sony. FIGURE IT OUT.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow