Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thelenspainter
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
Nikon 105 f/2.5 AiS compared to 85 1.8G
1 month ago

I'm curious what people's thoughts would be on the relative worth of the two lenses mentioned in the subject, with regards to their use as portrait primes. I don't do a lot of portraiture, but I do currently own a 85 1.8G. I don't really use it for anything else, so it sits on the shelf most of the time. In addition to that, as I get older I seem to prefer lenses that have character over those that are simply very sharp (I swapped my 50 1.8G for a 50 1.2 AiS some time ago). I think the 85 1.4G is a pretty special lens, but I'm not prepared to spend that kind of cash on a specialty lens I won't use much.

Obviously they are not the same focal length, but close enough (I think) for portrait shooting to be more or less the same with both. My reading seems to say that the 105 indeed has more character than the 85 1.8G, which as anotherMike likes to say is 'analytical'.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow