Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 780Gear list
Like?
Travel Kit?
3 months ago

I have always been a bit of snob when it comes to travel gear, and tend to bring waaaaaaay too much stuff, and then have to suffer with carrying the heavy loads of camera + lenses.

After our last vacation trip, I have decided to swear off carrying my big camera and lens, and am looking for something smaller and lighter... (I was carrying my Nikon D800 + Battery Grip w/ L-Bracket and a 24-70 f/2.8 lens. A total beast!)

I know this topic has been beat to death in several other threads, but I have never really had a need or desire before, so I have not really paid much attention. If anyone has a few links to other threads that they would like to forward, that would be fine as well.

It is always a balance between being a gear snob and getting a decent image, and on some of these trips, I am exposed to some of the best photo opps that I get, so I don't want to get stuck with some crappy P&S images. I will be shooting mostly landscapes, cityscapes and some street photography, and of course the assorted wife snapshots and selfies of us in front of some landmark or another!

Sometimes, I resort to my backup body and kit lens (Nikon D90 + 18-105), but even that is too big and heavy for what I am considering.

At this point, I am thinking to look towards the ILC type of compact camera, with a minimum of an APS-C sized sensor, but this is a crowded market, and I have not really followed the trends since I really have not had any interest up until now.

I want:
-A viewfinder
-APS-C (minimum) sensor
-Weather resistant?
-RAW support
-Decent low-light quality (ISO 1600? ISO 3200 would be great.)
-Between US$1,000 and $1,500 w/ versatile zoom lens
-Compact and light <---- most important next to IQ

From the little I know, I am looking towards Fuji, Sony and Olympus, but I am leaning towards Fuji based on the recommendations of a friend who owns an original X100. I have always been a "Nikon guy", but I am willing to consider other choices since the Nikon 1 v.3 does not look like it has all I am looking for (correct me if I am wrong), especially with the sensor size.

When I search on B&H under "mirrorless" and Fuji, I see several models (X-T1, X-E2, XPro-1, etc.). Interestingly, the X100s does not show up unless I specifically search for that model. Any reason why that is? It is not "mirrorless?

I have read some threads on this forum about preferences for one type or another regarding the EVF, and this scares me since I have never used an EVF, only optical. I remember looking at a Sony DSLR a few years back with an EVF and thought "YUCK!".

I am definitely confused in this sea of choice, and would really appreciate some direction. I am getting too old nowadays to be carrying around a huge camera and lens combo, and besides, I want to be able to enjoy my time away with my wife now that the kids are away at college, and it is harder to do with a big camera. EXAMPLE: We went up to Mackinac Island in Michigan, and went on a bike ride around the island. I got some great shots, but what a pain to carry around that huge monstrosity of a camera and lens on a bike trip. I would be willing to sacrifice some IQ for convenience.

Thanks for any help!!!

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow