Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wayne Brissette
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
SD Card speed vs. Memory Stick speed
1 month ago

Recently I asked if others got the error message when a memory stick was inserted into their A7 series camera that playback may not be supported. Most people said they didn't use a memory stick and only used SD cards. Since I already owned several memory stick modules (I preferred them to the CF card on the A700).

Anyhow, I decided to be a bit geeky and run some memory tests on them. I didn't run reading rates, but did look at writing speeds. First I have to note that all tests were done via a Sony card reader on USB2. That means we're automatically restricted to lower than optimal writes because of bus speed and the card reader itself. However, I think what this does show is that the Memory Stick just can't compete with the SD card for writing data.

Memory Stick: Sony Memory Stick Pro HG Duo HX 32 GB (this is the fastest one available I believe)

Average writing speed: 6.69 MB/s

SD Card: Transcend 45MB/s 300x SDXC 64 GB

Average writing speed: 10.80 MB/s

Again, these won't show the best speeds, but since the tests were done with the same restricted pipe (USB2 and the Sony card reader), the show the real-world improvement in speed of the SD card.

Wayne Brissette's gear list:Wayne Brissette's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow