Honest camera, for my learning digital imaging. Still learning of course.

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tactical Falcon
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Honest camera, for my learning digital imaging. Still learning of course.
3 months ago
-- hide signature --

My 2nd foray into the DSLR, my D70s being my first. The Nikon D200 has a deluxe substantial feel I always love in a camera. Kind of like my Uncle's Canon Ftb film camera.  You pay for it on the trail with the 70-300mm non VR lens and SB800 gun on it. Heavy is the word here.

That being said, did it make it worth bringing. Sure. Images are crisp, and clear, color was to my liking r tweaking settings in the camera before hand, and my workflow editor were employed. It always did its job, as long as I did mine. By the way, never had any banding issues. Color me lucky I guess.

Higher ISO's mean higher noise here. For me nothing over 800 was comfortable for my taste, and work. But below that, I enjoyed using this camera. Details were quite good especially with my F1.8 50mm Nikkor lens.

Focusing was pretty quick, and the focus assist lamp help in darker climes. I loved its responsiveness, and about 5 frames per second were fine with me. Shooting NASCAR images, the D200 was fun to shoot with.

I had my D90 for contrast, and I must say from a weight perspective the D200 loses to the D90. Though that nice feel of heft, and the smooth acting controls, make me forgive the bulk of the D200.

I think without making this a longer review than it needs to be, plus you can read DPreview's take on this camera, for me, it will remain one my favorites.

A story from you minds eye.

Tactical Falcon's gear list:Tactical Falcon's gear list
Olympus E-10 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
Tactical Falcon's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Nikon D200 Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow