Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Retheesh Nair
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Time to upgrade: D800 vs XT1 - Need genuine opinions
4 months ago

Hi Guys, this is not to start a new DSLR vs Mirrorless war, I want some guidance on the below questions in my mind.I know similar situations would have been discussed in the past, would like to get help on my specific situation here.Since I currently own a Nikon system, I thought I would post this here first.(I would also be posting this on the Fuji forum too, to hear the other side)

Would like to have some expert opinion/experiences from people who might have
gone through the same thought process.

Current Gear

Nikon D7000, Nikon 35mm 1.8 Dx, Tamron 70 200 2.8(non-VC), Lester Dine 105 2.8.A nikon 85 1.8 is on backorder and I am expecting to get it soon.
A Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art is on its way home.Also have a backup Sony Nex-3N with the 16 50.

Had a D5000 and quite a few lenses in the past, which I sold at different points in time:
Tamron 28 75 2.8
Sigma Art 35 1.4
Tokina 11 -16
Tokina 12 28
Sigma 17 50 2.8

Kit lenses : 18-140, 17 50, 55 200

I have almost never used the Sony at all, because its menu driven system is not for me.
I am sure I am gonna sell it for whatever its worth.

I have been using the APS-C cameras for sometime, and I know its time for a change. Full frame with its image quality and razor thin DOF has been tempting me for sometime.But that was before I heard/read about the Fuji.

These are the two options I have in my mind right now:

- Sell all my gear above except the Sigma 50mm Art,and the Nikon 85 1.8. Get an UWA - WA lens + get a D800 and be done with it.The biggest factor in Nikon's favor, ironically are the sigma Art Series lenses. Also the fact that the sensor is FF.

- Here is the unexpected contender. Sell everything, Get XT1 and kit lens, and a used X100, + 14mm + 56 1.2. Handling, convenience are obviously in Fuji's favor based on reviews. If DOF is the only factor where Nikon holds an advantage, I would take the Fuji route.How is Fuji's low light image quality when compared to Nikon(No, I dont have the money for a D4, so thats out of the equation.Also, does X100 + XT1 make a good pair?

Now, I have no experience at all with Fuji; never even seen one. But I have heard/read great things about it and how it transformed their photography.

To get an idea of what I shoot, please refer my 500px gallery in my signature. I love landscapes, family pictures & maybe any school sports my 6 year old participates in. I dont use the lester dine at all, its more of a collectible for me.I would have waited till this year's photokina to understand whats coming up, but fall photography is something that I feel should do in 2014.

Anything more that would be helpful, do let me know.

Retheesh Nair's gear list:Retheesh Nair's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow