Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
Lens vrs. Camera
4 months ago

While I definitely know it is the person behind the camera that has the greatest influence on the overall success of  the photo, I am still somewhat surprised I don't hear more people here and on other forums emphasizing the quality of the lens to achieve better results than the camera body itself.  I personally wanted some great camera bodies, but overall I have spent far more money and time selecting and buying my lenses.  Hopefully I can use my lenses for a long long time and many generations of new and improved cameras.

That being said, I also have to believe (or certainly wonder) if there are potential limitations with any great MFT lens where it might not give even a really great photographer any better end result due to the limitations of the presently used camera sensor.  I am sure sensors will also improve as we go forward, but should I ever worry that a better and more expensive MFT lens is not going to be worth the money I have spent on them?  Down the road I have expectations of buying several lenses that will round out the MFT lenses I think I want to own.  Unfortunately none of them inexpensive.  My question is for a MFT camera should I be concerned I have gone overboard on a lens when a less expensive alternative would have  achieved near the same results.  As example: owning An Oly 45mm 1.8 lens and considering or wanting either a Voigtlander  42.5mm F0.95 or the Panasonic Leica 42.5mm F1.2 lens.  The same could be said for the 25mm lenses, the 17/17.5mm, or even the 75mm lenses.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +21 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow