D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to N0WhereMan, 3 months ago

N0WhereMan wrote:

Cool Video, I guess the only thing that bugs me about Time Lapse is the number of Shutter Actuation it can rack up. 15-20 videos like that and one could in theory need a shutter replacement, am I correct in thinking that?

-- hide signature --

Anywhere Photography
NoWhereMan!

Your certainly on the right track.  Each shutter release must count.  I like to shoot at 1 sec intervals for from 5 to 25 minutes (depending on how the scene changes), and make 1080p TLs at 60fps.  The D810 has been tested to 200,000 clicks (but will probably last much longer), which would yield 333 minutes of TL.  This would equate to almost 30 TL's like the one in my post, so you're in the right ballpark.

However, a shutter replacement for the D810 would cost less than $300 and take about 2 weeks.  So, it's quite replaceable, especially since I use two bodies.

I also have several A7r bodies, and its TL app is not too bad, so I may start doing TL with them as well.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow