Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BudOhio
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,135Gear list
Like?
2014 Sedona, Arizona Hummingbird Festival
1 month ago

I recently had the opportunity to give a presentation on "Photographing Hummingbirds In Your Yard and Gardens" at The Hummingbird Festival in Sedona, Arizona.  It was an extremely cool experience for me, as was the festival itself, and the tours of local gardens and banding sites.  The fact that I was able to take my daughter for a long overdue father-daughter excursion made it that much more special and fun

The climate in Sedona is different than much of Arizona due to the higher elevation, and the cooler temperatures are very inviting to several species of migrating hummingbirds.  When my daughter and I left the airport in Phoenix, the outside temperature on the freeway was 118F… by the time we traveled through a monsoon-like rain into the Sedona area, the local temperature was down to 64F.

We visited a number of "hotspots" for hummingbirds while there, and at one of the banding sites, the bander estimated that there were between 4 and 5 THOUSAND hummingbirds on the property!  There was a constant, loud "hummmmm" the entire time we were there

The actual gardens had a very limited number of nectar plants, but every site had plenty of feeders and an amazing number of hummingbirds.  It was an awesome father-daughter trip and a great experience in my growing list of hummingbird adventures.

Here are a few images from our visit...

All hummingbird pics are hand-held with available light and the K-5IIs and DA*300.

For the landscape images I used my good, old reliable DA16-45.

Adult male Broad-tailed Hummingbird

Adult male Rufous Hummingbird

Adult male Anna's Hummingbird

Adult male Black-chinned Hummingbird

Immature male Rufous Hummingbird

Immature male Rufous

Immature male Anna's Hummingbird

Roadrunner looking for a meal, intrigued by all of the tiny winged creatures buzzing around...

Rufous waiting in line at the feeding station

Soggy Rufous in a rainstorm

My daughter capturing the scenery on her iPhone

Some of the Red Rocks of Sedona...

And, a Double-tailed Swallowtail, which was the only butterfly we saw the entire time we were there… there might have been a little too much airspace competition from all of the hummingbirds

Thanks for looking!

Bud

-- hide signature --

Bud
Southwest Ohio
www.pbase.com/budohio
http://www.modelmayhem.com/1739778
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/budhensley
WSSA Member #209PX

BudOhio's gear list:BudOhio's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow